Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sharing and Understanding Our Experiences

It's really weird to think that we're actually here.  So much traveling and sitting, attempting to sleep on our flight in...  We're all pretty drained, but I think ready to get up in the morning and explore.

For me the strangest part of the day was driving into Jerusalem this evening and seeing the Dome of the Rock in the distance. It was unlike anything I expected, and although I had seen many pictures they simply did not compare with that sight.

I wonder how that might compare to the rest of our trip to come.  We've read of these places, heard many of them called by name.  And in the case of much of this city, we know the story of the man who walked these streets two thousand years ago. 

But I wonder... how much do we really know these places?
How much do we really know the stories?
And what kind of amazing impact could it have on our understanding to see them in front of us?

I think these weeks will show us all of these things in such a new way that they become entirely new experiences.  Unfortunately, I wonder if our stories or pictures will do justice to what we find.


No comments:

Post a Comment